Saturday, January 25, 2014

Orphan Train

by Christina Baker Kline was published by Harper Collins 2013. I am fascinated by the process, placement and ways of life. While I was waiting for our read, I read "The Orphan Train Trilogy" by Jane Peart, published by Guideposts in 1990.

The first book is set in today. The Trilogy begins in 1888 and follows three orphan girls through school into the first couple of years of their adulthood. Worth the read.

My sister remembers we had an orphan train child in Wahoo, NE. Jim Vanek had one leg about 8" shorter than the other, and yet managed to walk with it. He was a local real estate agent I worked with briefly, but I never heard him talk of his life. My parents had a friend in Omaha that had been on the train, too. Both men were successful in life despite their situations.

I appreciate each woman's novel.. I can imagine the children's angst and the variety of placements. In some cases, they were worse off than when they were in the orphanage.The stories made me appreciate my loving childhood home, the roof over our head and food on the table. I admire people's courage to press forward when all seems lost. I don't know what the rest of my life holds, but I hope I have the faith and courage to live it no matter what happens.

2014 Red Convertible Travel Series

No comments: