Friday, May 10, 2013

Tomato Aspic Revival


Long ago, and far away, we cooked our veggies, except for cucumbers. I "heard" older women speak of  Tomato Aspic, but I wanted no part of olives and uncooked veggies in jello.Yuk! UnAmerican! If the veggies weren't cooked, I wouldn't eat them.

Life blessed me with all the things I didn't like or was afraid of. Ever curious, I asked a dear Southern friend what a Tomato Aspic was. She smiled wide. Her eyes dilated. Annabell sighed. "I haven't had it in years. I put baby shrimp and olives in mine." It wasn't on my bucket list, but for Annabel, I would try. 

I got busy being Methodist and made Tomato Aspic with Plan B to buy a cake from Kroger.  I added chopped green and yellow bell peppers, green and black olives, Bumblebee baby shrimp, blanched asparagus tips and a finely chopped vidalia onion. The inverted dish fit perfectly on the found-in-the-closet platter. I felt confident the presentation would please the eye first, and hoped the taste would come close to what they remembered. Drum roll! It was a hit! Ladies not only enjoyed it at dinner, they took servings home. I came home with nothing more than a lick left. 

Tomato Aspic

2 envelopes Knox Gelatin                               
½ cup V-8 Juice                                                               
2 ½ cups V-8 Juice
1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp sugar
2 tsp. onion juice
2 tsp. vinegar
1/8 tsp. tobasco

Dissolve gelatin in 1/2 cup V-8. 
Heat 2 ½ cups V-8.
Ingredient options: artichoke hearts; asparagus; green or black olives; green and other peppers; celery; shrimp; or whatever you like.                                                                            
Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate in a ring mold, muffin tins, 8 x 8 dish, or your choice. If you plan to invert it, grease the container first.

Cottage Cheese Topping

12 oz. cottage cheese
3 spring (green) onions chopped
¼ cup mayonnaise
1/8 tsp. pepper
¼ tsp. salt

Mix together
If you used a ring mold, place the topping in the center. If not, put it on the side or in a separate bowl. 

2013 Red Convertible Travel Series



No comments: