Monday, March 18, 2013

The Exchange



This is an original work by George Watson Hall Smith III. He is the artist who cleaned the murals in the Saunders County Court House in Wahoo, NE. I received this work of his in an odd exchange. His wife gave me a gift and in the package I found a pair of turquoise earrings. No one else had anything extra in their gift. She wasn't there to ask. I kept them safe. A couple of days later, Robin, GWHS III's other name, called. The earrings were a gift to his wife from her mother and were accidentally placed in my box.  If I would return them, he'd give me an original work of his. I did not hesitate to return them and insisted he did not need to give me anything. He insisted. I finally relented. I really do like his work.

His wife had another surprise. On the streets of Boston, she had  found a dainty ring, but it she never felt like she should keep it. She gave it to me. I still have the dainty, pinky ring of opals and amethysts. Her gift was all the more poignant because a ring I had cherished from my aunt had been lost some years earlier. Everything worked out for the best.

2013 Red Convertible Travel Series

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home