Friday, March 29, 2013

Bangkok 8 & behind the beautiful forevers

The first paragraph was recommended for study of its "hook". It works well. I won't tell you what it is, just that I stayed to the last page.

I will tell you "Bangkok 8" is a marriage of Scorpio and Aquarius. Written by John Burdett, I learned more about the culture of Thailand than I needed. If you know Scorpio, you know it's the battle ground of the soul: High minded or deep in sex.  Aquarius gathers information to pour out later. Burdett does both signs proud.  If you want to be entertained and shocked, check it out.

I am currently working my way through Katherine Boo's Pulitzer Prize winning "behind the beautiful forevers" life, death, and hope in a Mumbai undercity. There is a lot of poverty in Mississippi, but I don't think there's any place in this country with the poverty of Mumbai. It's a huge stretch to comprehend the way they live.

I told our local librarian I need two more months of winter just to read. Yard work takes. Mother Nature is doing her best to make the days dark and gloomy, rainy here and snowy up north, perfect for inside reading.

2013 Red Convertible Travel Stories


No comments: