Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Seasick Deep-Sea Fishing

One winter in West Palm Beach, Florida, JB asked, "Do you want to go deep sea fishing?"
My adventurous spirit said, "Sure. Sign me up." I've never been to sea. Nebraska is land-locked.

The chartered fishing boat rocked a little when we boarded. What I didn't count on was rough water twenty-five miles out to sea. Once we passed the curvature of the earth, I couldn't see the shoreline. I became disoriented, as if flying upside down. It makes me queasy just thinking about it. I marveled how the men's torsos stayed vertical and their knees bent to accommodate the rock and roll.

Within the first hour of our all day excursion, the Captain noticed I was getting peaked and suggested I come inside. Warm, still, smoky air further stirred my breakfast. All I'd had was a handful of fresh parsley to erase the garlic taste from the night before, and it wouldn't stay down. I decorated the boat green on all sides from both decks. We'd paid $750 for the four of us to fish all day. I didn't think it was fair for the guys to go back. I found a corner in the fresh air, let them fish and get their money's worth. I concentrated on the affirmation:  My system is at ease with the rise and fall of the sea. I am calm at sea.

My lifelong dream is to take a several years tour of the world. I'll email family and friends of my whereabouts, along with invitations to visit. Many months will be spent at sea, and I WILL overcome seasickness. Oh. Oh. Excuse me. I need to run to the bathroom.

2013 Red Convertible Travel Series

No comments: