Monday, October 14, 2013

Harry Truman's advice to parents

From At Knits End by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

Harry Truman said, "I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it.

"I have three daughters," he said, "and they all knit. The youngest knits with persistence; the middle one with a passion; and my eldest, now a teenager, wouldn't be caught dead with the needles in her hands. At first I thought it was because knitting wasn't 'hip enough' for her; then I thought she was worried about what her friends would think. Finally, I realized that she doesn't knit . . . because I do.

"I will remember that kids need to rebel to establish their own personalities, and that her rejection of knitting is nothing perosnal. I will also try not to rub it in she takes it back up in her twenties."

And that's my contribution to humor for today. Enjoy!

2013 Red Convertible Travel Series

No comments: